This is an excerpt from our "Be Prepared" blog on medium.
Here are some ways to avoid becoming a victim of assault, on and off campus:
- be prepared — carry an accessible weapon or wearable that takes 0 seconds to deploy and no training to use, like this self-defense ring
- put your phone away but easily access the SOS app or 9–11 on it
- try to walk with someone if possible, especially when leaving a party
- identify what is a serious situation and draw immediate boundaries
- campus safety apps may exist at your University
- look around, learn to say no, check in with friends